Thursday, September 21, 2006

"Procedure"

Yesterday both Jason and I were off of work because MacKenzy had a "procedure" done. I hate to call it suregery because seriously, it was the fastest and most painless surgery there is!

From November to May of last year MacKenzy had 7 ear infections. She'd literally start feeling better from one, and she'd start all over! To see that child without a runny nose was extremely rare. We knew a good part of that was being in a daycare center, but when we'd keep her home it didn't cure it.

Jason was all for the tubes; he had them as a child. I was at first very against them. All the women in my family have troubles with hereditary hearing loss. I struggle with it and really was trying to safeguard MacKenzy the best I could. Slicing a hole in the ear drum does cause hearing loss. Dr. Johanson, her pediatrician, convinced me otherwise saying that the ear infections could cause way more damnage than a tiny slit.

MacKenzy was such a trooper. I really think she has no clue that something was done. We were one of the first surgeries of the day so the no eating and drinking thing wasn't much of an issue. MacKenzy normally could go without eating, she'd rather have her apple juice and watch her shows. She did ask for it once, but I managed to "not hear her."

Since MacKenzy thinks medical equipment are toys, she could have cared less about her blood pressure being taken, etc. We put a cuff on Jason and the nurse took her BP. Jason went with her to the operating room and he said she didn't even blink when they put the gas mask on her... a couple breaths later she was out cold.

We waited in the waiting area for about 25 minutes when they called us back in. She was half a sleep in a nurses arms. They had me hold her to comfort her and try to wake her up more.

"She's like her mommy...she LOVES to sleep!"

It took us quite awhile to get her to keep her eyes open. We basically had to try and tick her off! Jason kept asking her if he could hold her and she'd whine back, "no mommy!" After about 15 mintues of that, she was wide awake and ready to party!

We were on our way home by 9:45am!

When we got home we (Jason and I) so excited to get to take a nap...to our surprise, Miss Melby was wide awake and wanting to play! Ugh!

She's doing just as good today! We're excited to see the tubes start working and finally have a dry-nosed kid!

Did You Know:
Jason had tubes as a kid. Everyone knows that kids with tubes couldn't go swimming and had to wear wax in their ears when they bathed or showered. NOT ANYMORE! The only thing I can think of is that they're a one-way valve now...nothing can go in, just out. Whatever it is, it's no longer a complete pain for a kid to have tubes.

No comments: